Regionalization in LCA
Discussion forum on Life Cycle Assessment
November 13, 2009, 9:30, ETH Zurich, Semper Aula
Regionalization allows for explicit spatial modeling in both life cycle inventories and life cycle impact assessment. However, there are numerous challenges in determining the correct spatial scale for a particular environmental problem, gathering the geographically encoded data, and integrating this assessment into standard LCA practice. This discussion forum will showcase recent and ongoing research on all levels of regionalization, including case studies. The following themes will be addressed:
- The need for regionalization
- Errors that will be reduced by the inclusion of regionalization
- Datasets available for regionalization in LCI and LCIA
- Methods and procedures for regionalized LCIA
- Standards necessary for regionalized data
- Level of geographic detail needed.
This discussion forum is intended to spur discussion between businesses and practitioners who need regionalization, and academics working on regionalized LCA.
We are looking forward to seeing you in Zurich,
Chris Mutel and Stephan Pfister